The Indianapolis Home for Aged Women
The Indianapolis Home for Aged Women, known until 1913 as the Indianapolis Home for Friendless Women, was the first home established in the city. Founded in 1867 as a residence for children and transient women, it would evolve into an institution that primarily focused on helping the aged, regardless of sex. Some of the same donors to this organization were also actively involved in the formation of Crown Hill Cemetery. James Ray, William Hubbard, John Vajen, and Calvin Fletcher (all buried in Crown Hill Cemetery) were donors and founders of the home, as well as on the first Board of Corporators for the cemetery.
Along with the private donors, the organization received funds from the City Council and County Commissions. The government donations were made possible by an 1873 Indiana State law that allowed for cities with Homes for Friendless Women to collect fines and penalties under penal ordinances for the homes, although the City of Indianapolis fought the law in court.
The home would change its name to the Indianapolis Home for the Aged in 1936, when it began helping men too. By 1976, it changed its name to the Indianapolis Retirement Home and closed in 2003.


