Superintendent’s House

Crown Hill has had a superintendent since the opening in 1864. Our first, Frederick Chislett, brought his family to the site and lived in a cabin, probably one of the early farm homes that came with the purchase of property.

The next superintendent’s home was finished in 1869, but burned down in 1913. Luckily, another house near the east entrance was already being built, so Chislett and his family moved to the third superintendent’s house. This dwelling was razed in 1950 and staff no longer lives on the property.

This was the second home in which the family of our first superintendent (Frederick Chislett) lived. The 1869 home burned in 1913.