Farm Buildings

Crown Hill bought 21 parcels from 13 different landowners to form the cemetery, eventually accumulating 555 acres. When the cemetery began purchasing property in the 1860s and 1870s, not all the land needed to be developed for cemetery use.

Instead, the farmland was kept in production and the cemetery staff utilized the farm buildings for a variety of functions, including staff housing. As the cemetery developed the land for interments, the landscape was modified and structures were demolished, with the last dwellings being razed in June 1950.

This 1879 house was built by W. M. Foley and stood near the corner of Maple Road (now 38th Street) and Northwestern Avenue (now Michigan Road). Crown Hill purchased the land and structures in 1889. The building housed Crown Hill employees until it was torn down in 1950.