To make mausoleum entombment available to families for whom the expense of a private facility would be prohibitive, Crown Hill commissioned the architectural firm of D.A. Bolen and Son to design a community-wide resource. Built on the cemetery’s North Grounds and dedicated in 1951, the Crown Hill Mausoleum took two-and-a-half years to build. Its Bedford limestone exterior gives way to a marble-lined interior constructed of various types of domestic and imported stone.
The North Building, which was featured on the original 1948 plan, was built ten years after the Main Building was completed. The mausoleum includes crypts from side-by-side or end-to-end interment of caskets, as well as columbarium niches to enshrine cremation urns.