Letter from the President
As I reflect on my first year at Crown Hill, I am excited by all the things we have done and the plans we have for the future. My appreciation for Crown Hill and its importance to our community grows exponentially every day as I learn more about this beautiful space.
Crown Hill Cemetery is, first and foremost, a place to remember those who have gone before us; and it is also so much more. Crown Hill is:
- Home to the heritage and history of those who have shaped our city, state and nation
- One of the city’s most unique cultural landscapes
- The city’s largest greenspace within the beltway
- A substantial part of the city tree canopy
- Home to many one-of-a-kind art pieces and historic structures
- A place where people gather to learn, explore and enjoy the peaceful surroundings
As I look back on the last year, I offer my gratitude for the support and generosity that continues to make our mission possible and for what we have accomplished:
- Planted more than 50 trees through our Memorial Tree Program.
- Welcomed more than 1,000 IPS students to learn about the African-American influence on the Civil War through our Spirit of Freedom Program.
- Celebrated the longest continuously held Memorial Day program in the state, honoring our fallen veterans.
- Partnered with a number of community groups — Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Children of the American Revolution — to honor Indiana’s President Benjamin Harrison through educational programming.
- Conducted more than 60 guided tours covering topics such as history, art and nature.
- Launched a new website to better serve our donors and friends in providing information on the history and heritage of Crown Hill Cemetery and the happenings of the Foundation.
We have much more to do to ensure Crown Hill continues to be an invaluable asset for our local community, our city, our state and our nation.
- We are expanding our tour offerings, including a new tree tour and map as well as an Indianapolis-themed tour to coincide with the city’s bicentennial.
- We are working to preserve and restore some of the cemetery’s oldest family mausoleums dating back to the 1800s.
- We are working on a number of historic cemetery Section Preservation projects.
The mission of the Crown Hill Heritage Foundation is to preserve and celebrate Crown Hill Cemetery.
I ask you to partner with us by using the donate button to make your gift and join us in our mission as we preserve and celebrate Crown Hill Cemetery!
David Rieck, President
Crown Hill Heritage Foundation