Letter from the President – March 2020
A major part of the mission of the Crown Hill Foundation is to preserve Crown Hill Cemetery. Preservation can mean many things and take many forms. This year, the Foundation will embark on the preservation of two mausoleums, Caleb Blood Smith and Thomas Marshall.
The Caleb Blood Smith mausoleum is the oldest mausoleum at Crown Hill, erected in 1864. Caleb Blood Smith started his career practicing law in Connersville. During that time, he was also a member of the Indiana House of Representatives. In 1843, he was elected to the US House of Representatives and held various roles until returning to private practice in 1851. In 1861, President Lincoln appointed Smith as the sixth US Secretary of the Interior, where he served for two years before being appointed and finishing his career as a US District Court Judge in Indiana. Located in Section 5, adjacent to the English Circle, it is one of two Egyptian-style mausoleum at Crown Hill.
Located in Section 72, Thomas R. Marshall’s mausoleum was built in 1927. Marshall was a native of Indiana, born and raised in North Manchester and educated at Wabash College. He was a prominent lawyer in Indiana and a very influential member of the Democratic Party. Marshall was elected as the 27th governor for Indiana in 1909. During his time as governor, Marshall was tapped to be a part of the 1912 general election as a vice presidential nominee alongside Woodrow Wilson. After a successful election campaign, Marshall served as the 28th Vice President for two terms (1913-1921) under President Wilson.
If you are interested in these projects and want to learn more, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Of course, in addition to these projects, we will also be offering our extensive slate of events and tours throughout spring, summer and fall. Be sure to visit our website at www.crownhillhf.org for more information. And, as always, we appreciate your donations to help us preserve these and many other Crown Hill Cemetery landmarks!
David Rieck, President
Crown Hill Foundation