Award-winning PUBLIC Walking & Driving Tours!
Yes! Our tours were twice voted the "Best Walking Tour" by Indianapolis Monthly magazine
and were chosen as one of nine "Terrific Tours" by Midwest Living magazine!
Our Public Tours were also featured in "A Cemetery to Die For"
-- an article in AAA's Home & Away Magazine.We invite you to join us for another great season of our Public Tours! Most are scheduled to be held on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weekends of the month from June through early November, usually on Saturday nights. (There are a few exceptions.) Most tours are guided Walking Tours and a few are Driving Tours. All tours will last from 90 minutes to two hours (unless noted otherwise), and most evening tours are scheduled to see the sunset from the top of "The Crown," the highest hill in Marion County, where you can see the entire Indianapolis skyline. The walking tours will cover about one mile at a comfortable pace (for most people).
The fee is $5 for adults; $4 for seniors (55+); and $3 for youth under 18. NO reservations are required. Tours will be held rain or shine unless the weather is severe. For all tours (except the "Veterans" tour conducted annually on Memorial Day and the "Harrison & Heritage" tour on August 16 [Harrison's Birthday Celebration]), please meet your guide at least 10 minutes before the start of your tour in front of the Waiting Station, located just inside the 34th Street stone gate entrance located at 34th Street and Boulevard Place (3400 Boulevard Place.) This gate is normally locked every day at 5:00 pm but it will be unlocked for tours if they begin after 5:00 pm.
In the summer months it's recommended that tour participants bring bottled water and insect repellent, and always wear comfy shoes! Cute kids in strollers and very friendly dogs on leashes are welcome to attend. (You must curb your pooch.) Please note that while strollers and wheelchairs are always welcome, our tours often leave the pavement to go through the grass where it would be difficult or impossible to navigate with small wheels. You can stay on the road and rejoin the tour when they resume on the road. The "Crown" is a steep hill and is not recommended for strollers or wheelchairs. You are free to drive up to the top of the Crown at another time.
2015 PUBLIC TOURSFor a complete calendar of all our EVENTS as well as our PUBLIC TOURS, please see visit our PUBLIC TOURS & EVENTS PAGE. For all the details, visit our online CALENDAR. Some dates/times may change; check back frequently.
- May 23, Saturday, 7:30 p.m. - "Indianapolis Auto Greats" DRIVING tour. Join us for a sunset tour in the evening of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's "Legends Day," held the night before the Indianapolis 500® race!
- EVENTS & TOUR! May 25, Monday - MEMORIAL DAY
12:45 p.m. - Civil War Memorial Service at Confederate Lot on Section 32, conducted by Civil War Reenactors
1:30 p.m. - Band Concert by the Indiana Army National Guard's 38th Division Band at the National Cemetery (behind the Gothic Chapel)
2:00 p.m. - 147th ANNUAL MEMORIAL DAY CEREMONY at the Crown Hill National Cemetery, located directly behind the
historic Gothic Chapel (1875). Included in this special ceremony is the Roll Call of
Fallen Hoosier Heroes, a 21-gun salute conducted by the Indiana Army
National Guard, patriotic music provided by "The Central Sound," a
Lawrence Central High School choir, and more.
3:00 p.m. - "Veterans" walking TOUR (Meets behind the stage.) All ceremonies and the tour are free.
- June 6, Saturday, 7:30 p.m. - "Heritage" [PDF] our most popular walking tour (see the sunset!)
- June 13, Saturday, 9:30 a.m. - "Civil War" walking tour (this is a morning tour)
- June 20, Saturday, 7:30 p.m. - "Skeletons in the Closet, Part I" walking tour (see the sunset!)
- June 27, Saturday, 7:30 p.m. - "Skeletons in the Closet, Part II" DRIVING tour (see the sunset!)
- July 11, Saturday, 7:30 p.m. - "Heritage" [PDF] our most popular walking tour (see the sunset!)
- July 18, Saturday, 9:30 a.m. - "Private Family Mausoleums" walking tour (this is a morning tour)
- July 26, Sunday, 3:00 p.m. - "Dillinger & Eastside Notables" walking tour
- August 8, Saturday, 7:00 p.m. - "Heritage" [PDF] our most popular walking tour (see the sunset!)
- EVENT & TOUR! August 15, Saturday - PRESIDENT HARRISON'S BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION & TOUR
10:30 a.m. - President Harrison's Wreath-laying Ceremony at the Benjamin Harrison Memorial at the base of the Crown. Follow the white line on the road.
11:30 a.m. - "President Harrison & Heritage" walking TOUR . (One hour.) FREE.
- August 15, Saturday, 7:00 p.m. - "Angels of Crown Hill" walking tour (see the sunset!)
- August 22, Saturday, 9:30 a.m. - "Civil War Generals" walking tour (this is a morning tour)
- September 12, Saturday, 6:00 p.m. - "Heritage" [PDF] our most popular walking tour (see the sunset!)
- September 19, Saturday, 6:00 p.m. - "Heroes & Heritage" walking tour (see the sunset!) Held in conjunction with Beyond the Badge 5K Run/Walk on Sept. 21st
- September 26, Saturday, 9:30 a.m. - "Treason in Indianapolis" walking tour (this is a morning tour)
- October 10, Saturday, 9:30 a.m. - "Tombstones & Trees" walking tour with free Tree Map! (this is a morning tour)
- October 18, Sunday, 3:00 p.m. - "Authors" walking tour
- October 25, Sunday, 3:00 p.m. - "Heritage" [PDF] our most popular walking tour
For a description of most of the TOUR THEMES
mentioned above, click HERE.
For a complete calendar (with details & descriptions) of all our TOURS & EVENTS,
please see our online CALENDAR